At V4 level of Vietnamese you can understand:
- Main ideas of complex text.
- Standard spoken language, live or broadcast.
- Texts with a broad reading vocabulary and large degree of autonomy.
What you can do with level V4 Vietnamese
A V4 level of Vietnamese would allow you to function in the workplace in Vietnamese, and indeed, many non-native Vietnamese speakers in international workplaces have this level of Vietnamese. A person working in Vietnamese at a V4 level will, however, lack nuance particularly outside his own field. He may also miss some of the subtleties and implied meanings in conversation.
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Detailed Vietnamese skills of V4 level
In order to assess the Vietnamese language proficiency of students as well as students' self-assessment, the necessary skills of Vietnamese level V4 include:
- Participate in meetings in your area of expertise, if you have help understanding some points.
- Discuss gender issues as they relate to perceptions of rudeness and cultural norms.
- Talk about your personal finances and give advice to friends and colleagues about their finances.
- Talk about your personal and professional lifestyle, including a description of your life at work.
- Explain your education, experience, strengths and weaknesses, and discuss your career path.
- Talk about mental processes and how you can use them to improve your effectiveness on the job.
- Talk about what you like to read and make recommendations about good things to read.
- Use appropriate language in social situations, including praising and expressing sympathy.
- Discuss leadership qualities and talk about leaders whom you admire.
- Deal with relatively complex awkward situations that arise in social and business contexts.
- Discuss common political situations and the behavior of politicians.
Although progress will depend on the type of course and the individual student, students can expect to reach the V4 level in Vietnamese with 600 hours of cumulative instruction.