At V5 level of Vietnamese you can understand:
- Longer texts and their implicit meaning.
- Lengthy speech on abstract topics with relative ease.
- Details in complex texts, even if not relating to your own specialty.
What you can do with level V5 Vietnamese
A V5 level of Vietnamese allows for a full range of functionality at work or in an academic setting. The V5 level would allow for full autonomy in Vietnam.
- Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognize implicit meaning.
- Can express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
Detailed Vietnamese skills of V5 level
In order to assess the Vietnamese language proficiency of students as well as students' self-assessment, the necessary skills of Vietnamese level V5 include:
- Discuss in detail issues related to success, including building a motivated, successful team.
- Talk in some detail about your favorite paintings and the architecture of buildings that you like.
- Discuss societal problems, possible solutions for problems and what role corporations can play.
- Participate in discussions about conservation, sustainability and habitat protection.
- Talk about events and issues in the news and how they affect people and companies.
- Talk about risks in life, including changing jobs and doing dangerous sports.
- Compare and contrast various forms of education and individual schools.
- Discuss various types of humor, including subtle forms like sarcasm.
- Understand various communication styles, including direct, indirect, formal and informal.
- Discuss issues related to your quality of life, including work-life balance and home environment.
- Understand and discuss issues related to ethics, like civil disobedience.
Although progress will depend on the type of course and the individual student, students can expect to reach the V5 level in Vietnamese with 800 hours of cumulative instruction.