At V3 level of Vietnamese you can understand:
- Main points on common topics at work, school, or traveling.
- General and specific details given clear speech.
- Factual texts on subjects of interest.
What you can do with level V3 Vietnamese
A V3 level of Vietnamese would be sufficient for interactions with Vietnamese speakers on familiar topics. In the workplace, people at a V3 level of Vietnamese are able to read simple reports on familiar topics and write simple e-mails on subjects in their field. However, a V3 level is not adequate to function fully in the workplace in Vietnamese.
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Detailed Vietnamese skills of V3 level
In order to assess the Vietnamese language proficiency of students as well as students' self-assessment, the necessary skills of Vietnamese level V3 include:
- Discuss your personal and professional hopes and dreams for the future.
- Arrange a job interview and interview for a job in your area of expertise.
- Talk about your television viewing habits and favorite programs.
- Describe your education and your plans for future training.
- Talk about your favorite music and music trends and plan a night out to listen to live music.
- Talk about maintaining a healthy lifestyle and give and get advice about healthy habits.
- Talk about relationships and dating, including meeting people through social media.
- Go to a restaurant, order food, engage in polite dinner conversation and pay for your food.
- Participate in negotiations in your area of expertise, if you have help understanding some points.
- Discuss workplace safety issues, report an injury and explain rules and regulations.
- Discuss polite behavior and respond appropriately to impolite behavior.
Although progress will depend on the type of course and the individual student, students can expect to reach the V3 level in Vietnamese with 400 hours of cumulative instruction.